CMS Cooking Competition
Invitation to CMS Culinary students to participate in the Charlotte StrEATs Festival Family Night
CMS culinary students are officially invited to participate in the first-ever Charlotte StrEATs Festival! The festival will kick off on Friday, April 15th with a fun Family Night that will feature a cooking competition between local high school culinary students. The event will take place from 5-8:30 p.m. at Gateway Village (900 W. Trade St.)
If you are a student who has been invited by your teacher and are interested in participating, please fill out our online application form below. The deadline to apply is Friday, March 18th.
- Students will conceptualize and prep their dish with a culinary mentor from a local restaurant. Prep will take place at a local restaurant or commercial kitchen during the week of April 11th. Exact timing will depend on the assigned mentor’s availability
- Students will be divided into teams by geography and be tasked with coming up with a dish that represents their neighborhood
- We are limited in the number of students that can participate as we are creating a maximum of 3 teams
- Teams will have 45 minutes on stage (students are encouraged to prepare as much as they can beforehand). They will need to create 3 plated dishes to present to each of the judges.
- Students will be required to have their own transportation to the event as well as a parent present
- There are a limited number of spaces available
Dishes will be ranked on the following three categories: Taste, Presentation, and Representation of Neighborhood. We’ll ask students to explain the meaning of the dish onstage.
Each team will receive an award for competing. The top award will be Best overall. The additional award categories are TBD. We will have prizes for each team.
Timeline of the event
Subject to change
- 5:00 p.m. – Welcome and introduction
- 5:15 p.m. – Cooking competition Team 1
- 6:00 p.m. – End round 1, present samples to judges, hand out samples to the audience, clean and prep for next round
- 6:15 p.m. – Cooking competition Team 2
- 7:00 p.m. – End round 2, present samples to judges, hand out samples to the audience, clean and prep for next round
- 7:20 p.m. – Cooking competition Team 3\
- 8:05 p.m. – End round 3, present samples to judges, hand out samples to the audience
- 8:20 p.m. – Judges announce winners and provide feedback
- 8:30 p.m. – Winners accept awards and we take pictures.
Questions? Email email@example.com.